OMG, making a txting poem was hardr than I thought. Since I'm not an avid texter myself, my group and I had a hard time making sense of the funky acronyms we all used off of Web sites. Despite the translation problems, creating the poem was just flat out funny. I was on a Web site of texting and instant messaging acronyms and the amount of things that people have acronyms for is just ridiculous. Every phrase you ever want to use is conveniently put into acronym form, though it should be noted using these are definitely not the easiest way to communicate. My group and I kind of took a joking tone to our poem, since we found the phenomenon of using acronyms and misspelling things in texts and online to be hilarious.
Growing up, some of these different abbreviations and lingo was in use, though it has grown to absurd proportions today. I think often times people do get too wrapped up in it and it can start to hinder one's ability to actually spell in real life, which is a shame. Maybe one day we will see the day when this texting lingo is used across all forms of writing, but until then it is important for kids who grow up immersed in this texting culture to continue to spell things out and communicate more effectively, rather than with symbols and acronyms.
Just reading textually.org was enough to make me cringe. Soon, we're going to be downloading food off the computer, too. I mean, really, what can't the iPhone do? I believe I'll live to see a day where every technology created prior to the iPhone, even practical everyday tasks, will become virtual. Reading Bruce Sterling's "When Blobjects Rule the Earth," I began thinking to myself: soon enough, we will be able to control the whole world with the click of a button from inside our own homes; the future is already upon us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment