Monday, March 16, 2009

The Iron Whim

I think that Darren Wershler Henry's "The Iron Whim" is one of my favorite books we've looked at so far this semester. I loved his writing style and I was able to easily follow along with his history of typewriters and the impact they had upon what writers could and could not do with type.

Many of us today who grew up knowing about computers and expecting everything at the click of a button often don't think of typewriters in the way that Henry shows them: as the pioneers of the advanced written word. Those people on the other hand who grew up with typewriters truly saw it as one of the first pieces of technology that changed how we were able to write. Without the typewriter, the only way to produce text was just to write it down and distribute it with presses.

No comments:

Post a Comment