Monday, March 23, 2009

Flarf Free Write

I think flarf is not taught as a form of poetry in all schools because it is not seen as a legitimate writing form, but more as a goofy pairing of random words to create nonsense. Before reading about flarf I would probably say that no, flarf should not be taught in schools because it takes no real writing skill and is just a fun and random way to laugh at the bad grammar and punctuation and terms of today's generation. But after looking at the form more closely, I find myself thinking back on other forms of literary "art" or "poetry" and asking if they actually took any real writing skill to produce.

Sometimes the things that we consider art baffle me. Paintings of squares, poems that make no sense or are overly emotional and sappy are sometimes viewed as legitimate and so why then not flarf? I guess the only way we really categorize whether something is worthy of teaching or not is if someone--probably a critic or literature buff--deems it something that should be taught because it is new or brilliant.

Especially after producing my own flarf, I think it definitely should be taught in schools, maybe not as poetry, but definitely as a new form of writing, especially since it seems to have a semi-large following. Also, it's fun. I wish that we would have learned about flarf in school and been able to experiment more with it especially since it seems so relevant to my generation which is always connected to some form of technology and it's wacky lingo at all times during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment