Monday, April 27, 2009

Blogging Freewrite

"'Blogs bring on decay. Each new blog is supposed to add to the fall of the media system that once dominated the twentieth century' Do you think that this is a true statement, that blogs have contributed to the erosion of mass media or are they the second step in the progression of mass media in people's lives?"

This is the question I focused on predominantly in my first blog post, but I'd like to elaborate on this point...I think blogs definitely are bringing on decay as far as the fall of the media system that dominated the twentieth century goes. Throughout the twentieth century people relying heavily if not solely upon print media sources as well as radio and television to receive news and now as people look to the internet to see what's happening around the world and get their news faster, we are seeing newspapers and other print mediums take a dive.

However, I also feel that they are also considered the second step in the progession of mass media in people's lives. Blogs give people the chance to be citizen journalists and to post their opinions on news and broadcast it to thousands or millions of people. While I believe this is a great thing, I also think it's sad that print media is dying out because of it and I feel that people can't completely turn to blogs to receive news, they are simply a supplement to online news media sources since blogs have no journalistic standards to uphold.

As far as Facebook and Twitter go, they also provide citizen journalists an outlet to broadcast to other users news and opinions, though just as a blog, they cannot always be trusted. A lot of journalists I know are utilizing tools like Twitter and Facebook to find story ideas, and to post links to relevant news stories or their own stories. I think that once you realize what a great tool Facebook or Twitter can be and learn how to use it to fully benefit the sending the receiving of news, it's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment